Rockford teen tries to alert family, is electrocuted

At approximately 11:00 p.m. on June 18, 2009 a utility pole in front of 12779 Wabasis Ave NE, in Oakfield Township, was sparking and fell to the ground. Sixteen-year-old Christopher O’Neill, who lives across the street, was outside with other family members and heard a loud popping sound and saw a brilliant flash. He thought the house across the street at 12779 was on fire. He knew there was a family of seven that resided there including several young children.

He ran across the street to alert them. The power was out in the area and there were no lights on due to the downed power line. As Christopher ran to assist his neighbors he ran into a downed power line, was electrocuted, and died.     

The house at 12779 Wabasis Ave. did not catch on fire as a result of the downed power line and arcing transformer.

About Squire News

The Squire has been Rockford’s free weekly newspaper since 1871. Our loyal readership includes over fifteen thousand homes in the Rockford area, including the affluent Lakes area of Lake Bella Vista, Bostwick Lake and Silver Lake; Belmont, Blythefield, as well as Algoma, Courtland, Cannon and Plainfield Townships. The Squire is distributed through the U.S. Post Office every Thursday. We also deliver to in-town businesses and homes with paper carriers and news stands in our grocery stores and over thirty local shops.
This entry was posted in Top News Stories. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>