Courtand Township firefighters evacuated a home on Twelve Mile Road between Courtland Avenue and Northland Drive on Tuesday, Dec. 8 after a fire in a dryer began spreading. Homeowners called 9-1-1 at about 7:30 p.m. The homeowner said she was taking clothes out of the dryer when she smelled smoke and saw flames under the appliance. Deputy Fire Chief Terry Welch said a clogged dryer vent was the cause of the fire, and homeowners should clear vents regularly.
“We have a lot of fires start this way,” said Welch. Fire from the damage was limited to scorching of the linoleum floor in the utility room, but the house was filled with smoke.
“I couldn’t go in. I had to wait for the fire trucks,” Welch said of the heavy smoke.
Welch pointed out that lint had clogged the exhaust line from the dryer all the way from the appliance to the outside outlet. “A lot of people don’t think about clearing these out,” he said.