The Rockford Area Community Endowment (RACE) is accepting nominations for its annual Community Recognition Award. The award is given to an individual or community organization that has achieved significant accomplishment in their lifetime through career, community or personal success.
Nominees should meet the criteria listed below:
• The nominee should be an individual or couple.
• The nominee should have a substantial connection with the jurisdiction of the RACE. (Jurisdiction is the Rockford Public School District.)
• The connection should reflect a period of time spent as a resident or business person. The connection may also reflect a local heritage, i.e. a child who was raised in the area and went on to great accomplishments elsewhere while maintaining a family contact with the community.
• The nominee should have accomplishments that were either greatly beneficial to the area or reflect upon the nominee’s local heritage.
• Great restraint should be shown to avoid canonizing recently deceased individuals who lack a record of substantial accomplishment or of individuals whose major recognition has been by position held.
• Examples of accomplishment may include by way of example: acts of heroism, military recognition, business success coupled with local values, governmental involvement, and public service.
Nominations are accepted from the public at large and should be submitted in writing to: Rockford Area Community Endowment, Attn: Awards, PO Box 561, Rockford MI 49341, by March 26, 2010. The written nomination shall outline, in one typed page or less, the qualities that exemplify why the candidate should be considered for the award.
The Board of Directors will consider each nominee on his/her merits. The Community Recognition Award will be presented during the May meeting of RACE. The award will include an engraved plaque with the recipient’s name placed on a column in the Recognition Plaza at Peppler Park at the Rockford Dam.