Rockford’s girls varsity tennis team defeated Grandville in a nail-biter Wednesday, April 21 on Grandville courts. All four Rams singles—Lauren Korlewitz, MJ Bothma, Alex Stembaugh and Jenelle Miller won their flights. Grandville’s two and three doubles beat Rockford, but it was Rockford’s one and four doubles that went to third sets each.
Rams’ first doubles fell to Grandville, leaving the decisive match winner to fourth doubles Megan Zawacki and Julie Daukss. The set was tied 5-5 when Zawacki and Daukss finished in an explosive 7-5 victory.
“Our girls truly showcased their mental toughness during an epic battle. Everyone contributed to that big win,” said Coach Tom Huizing. “This is why tennis is a team sport.”
Earlier in the week, Rockford pummeled East Kentwood 7-1 at home with a nearly perfect match. Seniors Mackenzie Young and Lindsay Gauger finished with an impressive 6-0, 6-0 win over their opponents.
Scores for the East Kentwood match are as follows:
• one singles—Lauren Korlewitz: 6-4, 1-6, 4-6
• two singles—MJ Bothma: 6-2, 6-4
• three singles—Alex Stembaugh: 6-2, 6-0
• four singles—Jenelle Miller: 6-1, 6-2
• one doubles—Katie Rachon, Heather Williams: 6-3, 6-4
• two doubles—Mackenzie Young, Lindsay Gauger: 6-0, 6-0
• three doubles—Tara Murray, Nichole Strobel: 6-2, 7-5
• four doubles—Megan Zawacki, Julie Daukss: 6-2, 6-1
Rockford is undefeated so far this season with back-to-back conference wins and will host another invitational Saturday, May 1. Play will begin by 9 a.m. and will last until late afternoon. Bring a chair or sit in the bleachers and cheer your Rams to victory. The courts are just west of the high school, and attendance is free.