Over 50 schools converged at East Fork Lake State Park in Cincinnati, Ohio, over the weekend of May 7 to compete in the Midwest Scholastic Rowing Association Regatta.
Racing began early on Saturday with boats competing in “head race” format to earn spots in the semifinals and finals, which were held on Sunday. Head racing involves releasing boats individually in specific timed intervals to gage their 1,500-meter time from start to finish. Boats placing in the top six of their event advanced.
By the start of Sunday’s schedule, Rockford men and women had many of their boats positioned in the semifinals. By day’s end, 11 boats made it to finals, giving Rockford enough team points to earn third place overall. The Rockford women’s team was strongly positioned for a second-place finish overall, behind New Trier of Chicago, Ill.
Rockford crew had six boats qualify for the National Scholastic Regatta in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., on May 28-29. They were: women’s lightweight eight, women’s junior four, women’s junior eight, women’s senior four, men’s lightweight eight, and men’s junior four. This is the highest number of boats that has qualified for nationals.
The medal winners for this weekend’s event were:
• Women’s junior eight (second place): Kendra Bilardello, Kara Korson, Kendall McConnohie, Kate Fraser, Amy Fedeson, Lora Gleghorn, Rebecca Markam, Andrea Galloway, coxswain Becca DeKorne.
• Women’s lightweight (second place): Raechel Wrona, Molly Guthrie, Galloway, Gleghorn, Chloe McColgan, Lyndsey Felty, Emily Prus, Kate Fugate, coxswain Dani Tefft.
• Men’s junior four (second place): Austin Burris, Alex Welch, Bryce Vanderberg, TJ Jacobs, coxswain Mark Nadeau.
• Women’s junior four (second place): Bilardello, Korson, McConnohie, Markam, coxswain DeKorne.
• Men’s lightweight eight (third place): Sam Berndt, Tyler Truxton, Josh Houn, Sean Ebel, Isaac Blenman, Dylan Itter, Troy Paskiewicz, Scott Ginebaugh, coxswain Sam Tefft.
• Women’s senior four (fourth place): Olivia Kacsits, Maddie Anderson, Kate Fraser, Julia Fraser, coxswain Lauren Fay.
• Women’s lightweight four (fourth place): Wrona, Rachel Alberta, Guthrie, Stephani Sawicki, coxswain Shelby Hodges.
• Women’s lightweight novice four (fifth place): Sam Erickson, Jennifer Vlas, Holly Kregel, Corrine Prater, coxswain Bri Vanderberg.
• Men’s lightweight four (fifth place): Paskiewicz, Berndt, Blenman, Itter, coxswain S. Tefft.
• Women’s eight (sixth place): Lauren Madsen, Mallory Chrisman, Dana DeBusschere, Donna Pilarski, Courtney Brummeler, Shanice Watkins, Sawicki, Jenna Brower, coxswain Hodges.
The Rams will compete this Saturday, May 15, at the Michigan State Regatta. Crew teams from across the state will gather at Riverside Park in Grand Rapids to compete for the Michigan state title.