A girl in the Bella Vista lakefront home at 7105 Camino Del Ray wondered if birthday candles were burning when she smelled something odd. It was her 13th birthday that Wednesday, May 19. Later, at about 3 p.m., her brother ran up from the water where he had been boating and yelled at the girl and her friend to leave the house—it was on fire.
There was damage to the lakeside of the home, but Cannon Township firefighers extinguished the blaze with the help of the Rockford Fire Department. One resident was treated at the scene by Rockford Ambulance EMTs for smoke inhalation.
It is suspected that an air conditioner may have started the fire. The family dog was also safely removed from the home and waited in the boat while rescue workers helped the family.