Church: safest place to be
by PASTOR DICK RILEY
Rockford United Methodist Church
I read an article last month about the safest places for us humans to be, and it had some very interesting statistics in it. For example:
• Don’t ride in your car—they cause 20% of all fatal accidents!
• Don’t stay at home—17% of all accidents happen there!
• Don’t travel by air, rail or water—16% of all accidents result from these activities!
• Don’t even walk in the streets—15% of all accidents happen to pedestrians!
But did you know that only 0.001% of all accidents happen in church?
Please remember these facts as you make your summer plans. The safest place for you to be is—yes—in church! However, I must tell you that some strange things have happened to people while attending church. For example:
• Lives have been changed.
• Burdens have been lifted.
• Forgiveness has been given and received.
• Commitments have been made that have lasted a person’s whole life!
So, yes, there is some risk in coming to church—it could turn your life upside down. But I hope that you will visit the church of your choice this weekend, and all throughout the year, and be in that safest place—be in church!