Since opening in August 2006, Reds on the River has partnered with Rockford Public Schools on numerous occasions, including co-op work opportunities, numerous fundraisers, benefits for the Rockford Education Foundation, and the Community Unity program with the sports boosters and Youth Initiative Community Service Club.
One particular favorite for both Rockford High School students and Reds is hosting the Rockford Chamber singers, led by high school music director David Duiven. For the past three years, Rockford’s top choir students have performed holiday music at Reds in December, in exchange for Reds’ donation to the Choir Boosters to help offset some of their musical expenditures.
“The partnership has been tremendous,” noted Reds Executive Chef Glenn Forgie. “The students perform in quartets and meander about the dining room, singing carols. They jazz up their concert attire with fun holiday scarves and hats and really have fun with it. Our guests love the festive spirit they create, and they love the fact that we are showcasing our students’ talent.”
The music has become so popular that Reds has expanded the schedule and invited other area schools to perform. The lineup includes:
• Thursday, Dec. 2: Northview High School
• Tuesday, Dec. 7: Rockford High School Chamber Quartets
• Thursday, Dec. 9: Northview High School
• Tuesday, Dec. 14: Rockford High School Chamber Quartets
• Thursday, Dec. 16: East Grand, Rapids Bella Voce
• Tuesday, Dec. 21: Northview High School
• Thursday, Dec. 23: Forest Hills Eastern Quartet
Holiday carols are peformed from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. each evening.