Over 150 male swimmers from seven West Michigan area high schools competed at the annual freshman/sophomore meet in Grandville on Saturday, Feb. 5. Last year the Rams came out victorious with their first win in seven years. However, this year it was the Hudsonville Eagles that came out on top, with Rockford finishing in second place. Hudsonville placed first with 482 points, followed
by Rockford (379), Jenison (294), Grandville (252), East Kentwood (231), Grand Haven (222), and Holland West Ottawa (162). Despite the loss, the young Rams put forth a tremendous effort with numerous top-16 scoring finishes and several Rams swimming their fastest times of the season.
The top 16 individual scorers for the Rams were:
• 200-yard free: Mike Arend (second), Reese Patino (ninth), Dylan Dick (14th), Kurtis Loux (15th)
• 200-yard IM: Trenton Babcock (first), Nick Willison (third), Corey Fase (10th)
• 50-yard free: Chris Lemoine (12th)
• 100-yard fly: Craig Wasberg (first), Corey Fase (10th), Jacob Davis (11th)
• 100-yard free: Mike Arend (fourth), Justin Hulsebus (10th), Chris Lemoine (14th)
• 500-yard free: Stephan Cress (sixth), Kurtis Loux (ninth), Dylan Dick (12th)
• 100-yard back: Craig Wasberg (first), Nick Willison (second), Stephan Cress (ninth), Justin Hulsebus (11th), Reese Patino (15th)
• 100-yard breast: Trenton Babcock (second), Kyle Hams (sixth), Tyler Vanderhaag (15th)
Rockford placed second in all three relays:
• 200-yard medley relay: Willison, Babcock, Wasberg, Davis (1:44.68)
• 200-yard free relay: Lemoine, Davis, Hulsebus, Arend (1:40.89)
• 400-yard free relay: Arend, Willison, Babcock, Wasberg (3:26.15)
The Rockford divers, Noah Markel and Shane Phillips, finished in third and eighth places for the Rams, with a final score of 288.80 and 234.40 points respectively.
This week, many of these young Rams will join the Rockford juniors and seniors to face off in a dual meet against East Kentwood at the Falcons’ home pool on Thursday, Feb. 10 at 6:30 p.m. Both teams still remain undefeated in the OK Red conference.