Growing numbers of us suffer from depression and search for a way to deal with it.
Veteran yoga teacher, Amy Weintraub, author of the book “Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga” (Broadway Books, 2004), will lead a workshop on Yoga for Anxiety and Depression, May 20-22 at Expressions of Grace Yoga, Northland Drive NE, Grand Rapids.
Weintraub will show how yoga practice can reverse depression, which will be the second biggest world killer by the year 2020, according to the World Health Organization. The workshop will include yogic breathing techniques, guided meditations, tools for managing mood from visualization to toning, and easy yoga postures that are suitable for all levels of practitioners.
Weintraub was once an award-winning television producer, suffering from a depression so severe she was cognitively impaired. “I couldn’t put two shoes in a shoe box or fold a folding chair. Once, instead of sending the amount on the invoice I was paying for my health insurance, I sent the entire balance of my checking account.”
That changed in 1989 when she began a daily yoga practice. Within nine months, Weintraub was able to withdraw from the antidepressant medication that her psychiatrist had said she would likely need for the rest of her life.
Weintraub is the founder of the LifeForce Yoga Healing Institute, is a consultant to Andrew Weil’s Program in Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona, and writes frequently on mental health and yoga for national magazines.
For more information about this workshop, please visit expressionsofgraceyoga.com or call (616) 361-8580.
• LifeForce Yoga to Manage Your Mood: Clearing the Space—Friday evening, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.
• LifeForce Yoga to Get You off the Couch!—Saturday, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., and 2 to 5 p.m.
• LifeForce Yoga to Meet Anxiety—Sunday, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• LifeForce Yoga for Yoga Teachers, Psychotherapists and Health Care Professionals—Sunday, 2 to 5 p.m.
Workshop Pricing and Options:
• Friday, all day Saturday, Sunday morning—$230 (11 hours)
• Friday, all day Saturday, all day Sunday—$265 (14 hours/teachers and therapists)
• Friday night only—$45
• Please call for other workshop options and combinations.