New fire barn to serve well into the future
Cannon Township officials are thrilled they were able to upgrade their fire facilities without asking residents for an increase in taxes. With planning and a positive bidding environment due to the slow economy, they were able to build a substantial addition to the fire station at 6878 Belding Road.
Nugent Builders put up the structure in record time and are pleased to have the public tour the building Saturday, June 25 from 8 to 10 a.m. A free pancake breakfast will be offered. Highlights of the new fire station include:
• over 10,000 square feet of addition/renovated space;
• built for future growth;
• modern apparatus room with 18’9” ceilings;
• tube heating over all bays;
• two-inch quick fill water lines;
• six 14’x14’ overhead doors;
• expanded offices and kitchen space;
• future training areas;
• sleeping quarters;
• fitness center;
• hazmat (hazardous material) shower;
• public restrooms on the east side of the building for trail users.
The duration of the project was August 2010 through spring of 2011. The township took occupancy in January 2011. The project was supervised by Rick Nugent and Jeff Engle of Nugent Builders with Paradigm Design as architect.