Local Cub Scout Pack 3283, winner of the National Catholic Committee on Scouting (NCCS) Gold Medallion in 2009 and finalist in 2007 and 2008, present the Rosary Hike program. The Gold Medallion Award Program by NCCS was established to identify and recognize the outstanding Catholic Cub Scout Pack, Boy Scout Troop, and Venturing Crew in each of the 15 Episcopal Regions of the United States. It is also intended to promote the NCCS initiative to increase Scouting units, youth members and adult leaders.
National Gold Medallion winners epitomize those units that excel at providing youth with quality programs including religious activities, religious emblems participation, outdoor activities, and special events that encompass the religious, vocational and educational aspects of Scouting under Catholic auspices. The program was chartered by Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Belmont. Cub Scout Pack 3283 and Boy Scout Troop 283 are offering the Catholic Rosary Hike to Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and Venturers. After participating in 10 Rosary Hikes, Scouts and adults will earn a handmade Rosary walking staff. Come join the fun and fellowship.
The following outline explains the Rosary
1. Set aside one day a month and hike three miles (all kinds of weather, year round).
2. During the hike, pray the Rosary.
3. After 10 hikes, participants are awarded a Rosary staff. The staffs are handmade from sassafras, and each has 10 indentations or markers for prayers.
4. After 25 hikes, award them a Staff Badge.
5. Make July a Rosary Bike Hike. (You do not pray the Rosary while biking.)
6. Incorporate the Footsteps of American Saints Program and the Rosary Patch Series by the National Catholic Committee on Scouting.
The 2011 schedule, subject to change, is as follows:
• Jan. 2, Assumption BVM, Belmont, 10:30 a.m.
• Feb. 6, Assumption BVM, Belmont, 10:30 a.m.
• Feb. 27, John Ball Zoo, 12:00 p.m.
• Mar. 6, Assumption BVM, Belmont, 10:30 a.m.
• Mar. 27, Assumption BVM, Belmont, 10:30 a.m.
• May 1, Assumption BVM, Belmont, 10:30 a.m.
• June 5, Assumption BVM, Belmont, 10:30 a.m.
• July 3, Assumption BVM, Belmont, (Rosary Bike Hike) 12:30 p.m.
• Aug. 5-7, GRCCS Retreat, Franciscan Life Center, 11650 Downes St. NE, Lowell
• Sept. 11, Assumption BVM, Belmont, 10:30 a.m.
• Oct. 2, Assumption BVM, Belmont, 10:30 a.m.
• Nov. 6, Assumption BVM, Belmont, 10:30 a.m.
• Dec. 4, Assumption BVM, Belmont, 10:30 a.m.