North Kent Presbyterian Church at 6175 Kuttshill Drive, Rockford, will conclude a year-long celebration of its 50th anniversary on October 16 with a special worship service at 10:45 a.m. followed by a luncheon in the church’s fellowship hall.
Officially, the North Kent Presbyterian Church came into being by the formal organizing act of the Presbytery of Grand River on May 7, 1961, and became a congregation of the United Presbyterian Church in the United States of America. Before that ever happened, a few families first met in the old Belmont Town Hall in 1958. As interest grew, in October of that year they moved to the old Sage School on Belding Road. In 1960 they moved to the present location on Kuttshill Drive.
On Palm Sunday, April 11, 1965, the church received a setback when a tornado blew the roof off the building and knocked down the rear wall. Members responded quickly, and the damage was repaired in time to welcome their new pastor, the Rev. Jack Luidens.
The church continued to grow and on June 13, 1999, a groundbreaking ceremony was held and an expansion of the building was started and has since been completed.
The Rev. Helen H. Collins is the current pastor. Anyone interested in attending the luncheon, or would like more information, is welcome to call the church at (616) 863-6546.