On August 10, 1913, the people of St. Adalbert’s Parish in Grand Rapids, having just completed a magnificent church building, gave the Catholic farmers of Belmont their old wooden church building. For the next few months, the people transported the disassembled church pieces by horse and wagon along the muddy West River Road to an acre of land in Belmont, donated by Charles and Clara Smith.
On Saturday, August 10, the people of Assumption BVM Parish in Belmont will commemorate this generous gift with a reenactment procession of a horse and wagon carrying one of the original stained glass windows and other artifacts from the old church. The procession will come off West River Road and turn onto Rogue River Road, then proceed on Belmont Ave. to church in time for 5:30 p.m. Mass. After Mass the parish will enjoy a ham dinner in the Family Life Center.