By Terry Konkle – President
On Tuesday, December 21, 2017 my wife and I had the pleasure of presenting a Rockford history program to some of the residents of Bishop Hills in Rockford. I always enjoy meeting and speaking to groups and the audience last Tuesday was a very nice one. They responded well and not only asked questions but also added information about our area. One of the goals of the Rockford Area Historical Society (RAHS) is present history and this is one way to do that.
On Friday, December 1, 2017, the RAHS raffle winning tickets will be drawn as part of the Christmas Lighting ceremony in Peppler Park. Readers can still purchase tickets. The cost is $10.00 each or three for $25.00. There are three equal prizes of $250.00 in Meijer gift cards; so three people will each receive that amount. The RAHS uses the raffle as a major fundraiser and an important part of our budget. Most of our funds are used to operate the Rockford Area Museum (RAM). Contact me or another society member if you want to help us. Tickets are also available at the RAM.
The last “Nugget of Rockford History” quiz was answered correctly by three responders: Carole Holden Christensen, Jack Bolt and Lee Paull. They put the six given statements in the order that they happened in our history. The answers were: 3, 4, 5, 2, 1, 6. My thanks to all three for taking part and having an interest in history.
Here is a new “Nugget” consisting of ten statements that are either True or False. So, number from 1-10 and select your answers.
- The Rockford City Manager is elected by the voters of Rockford.
- The oldest building in Rockford is the Hessler Opera House.
- Rockford High School was a member of the KEN-O-WA conference at one time.
- The R.H.S. band performed in the Rose Bowl Parade at one time.
- H.S. has never been in the same conference as Belding.
- Dave Price was Rockford High School’s first full time athletic director.
- When R.H.S. burned in 1922, there were no fatalities from the fire.
- Bishop Hills was started in 1950.
- When Doctor Mike Shibler became school superintendent, he replaced Jerry Fox.
- The organization R.A.C.E. is the Rockford Area Community Endowment.
Contact me by e-mail using firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 616-866-0530 with your answers.
Finally, wasn’t it great to see our Rockford High School marching band take part in the nationally televised Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade? Our area can point with pride to many positive experiences in our history and this was one of them. Also, please contact me with questions, comments, suggestions, ideas for columns and especially corrections on content. Have a great week!