Business under new ownership By BETH ALTENA Chad Momber has been in trucking all his life. In February 2008, he noticed the only towing business in his hometown of Sparta sold out and moved out of the area. “I said to my wife, we have nine hair salons, nine pizza places and no tow company. Should I buy a truck?” The answer was yes, and Chad was on a journey that today finds him the owner of a combined three towing companies, a busy employer. “I bought a truck and got rolling,” he stated. Late last year Chad purchased his third towing company, Rockford Towing, which operates out of River Valley Auto in cooperation with that company and Chad’s “counterpart” in Rockford, Dan Williams. Before the two discussed the sale of Rockford Towing to Chad, the two men had never met, despite both having lifetime experience in related businesses in towns nearby each other. Chad was born and raised in Sparta and has plenty of connections to Rockford. He is the kind of guy who knows everyone in his town, and knew when he met Dan that they had a lot in common. “I knew we would hit it off,” Chad said. Chad said one of the first things he did was hire Denny Force when Chad started Sparta Towing. Denny had spent many years towing in Rockford in the 1970s and 1980s when he worked for Roy’s Towing, the precursor to Rockford Towing. In June of 2009 Chad bought A-1 Towing, which serves the Newaygo, Grant area. He was then up to three or four drivers. Chad was already interested in expanding into the Rockford are. So when Dan approached Chad if he was interested in purchasing Rockford Towing, Chad was more than ready for another growth phase in his business model. With the three businesses, Chad now has in his fleet six flat beds, two wreckers, and three service cars. One thing about his business people might not realize is how many of the calls are for services are not for towing. Tracking his calls in Quickbooks, Chad noted that forty percent of the calls are for non-tow services—fuel delivery, tire changes, battery jumps, lock-outs, and air delivery. “Why am I driving […]
By BETH ALTENA The EXPO doesn’t lie. It just doesn’t know who it is talking to. According to Rockford Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Linda Southwick, it is guaranteed, for sure, absolutely going to happen that one lucky person will win an all-expenses paid two person trip to Mexico paid for by the Chamber from Antor Travel and Apple Vacations. Plus, four people will win $500 in cash. Plus, if you aren’t one of those fortunate five, you are guaranteed not to leave empty-handed. Hundreds of booths will be staffed by many hundreds of friendly people who work and live right here in West Michigan, all happy to offer some sort of goodie—a tree seedling, candy, pen, awesome drawings, such as free trips, free services, games with prizes, samples and of course, once again A Taste of Rockford with Flo’s, Uccello’s and Candlestone Inn offering delicious tastes from their kitchens for tickets which sell for a dollar each. The eleventh annual Rockford Community EXPO is slated for Saturday, March 21 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Rockford High School. Amazing, you think. What does it cost to get into this wonderous event? It’s free. The best thing about the annual EXPO, besides all the great people to see and things to do, is that each EXPO is different and you never know what might be happening. Absolutely you will see Rockford’s fine public safety officers and there are always other local law enforcement members with stickers for the kids and a talking, lively mascot. At the first one a pair of local businessmen teamed up to try to beat the Guinness Book of World Records by grilling the largest every burger. Entertainment is all day and top quality. Local celebrities MC the event from beginning to end. This year’s line-up is Andy Rent, Chuck LaTour, Michelle DeSelms and Juliet Dragos. Rockford students will perform for you from the stage in the gymnasium, ending with the Rockford High School Jazz Band. This year again there will be a dozen and one selling booths, where visitors can buy products, goods or services, including the Rockford Lions taking orders for hams. The wide range of service and product providers will highlight what a talented and diverse […]
The boy’s varsity basketball team from Rockford ended the regular season with an extremely deceptive overall mark of 7-13 following their loss to South Haven by a score of 58-56 on the road Tuesday, March 3rd. South Haven pulled out the victory by scoring a basket with only two seconds remaining in the contest. Unfortunately for me in writing this article both of the teams in this contest are called the Rams so it makes it a might tougher to differentiate when using that moniker. It may be viewed by many as a disappointing season but the reality is that it was extremely close to being a pretty successful season for a team that featured five underclassmen amongst their top seven players. Not only did Rockford play seven games against teams ranked amongst the top ten teams in the state in Class A and B, in eight of the 13 losses they fell by five points or less. Three of the losses were by a mere three points and a pair were by two points. And on both of those occasions it took a hoop just before the buzzer to put down Rockford. The hosts from South Haven jumped out to a 20-10 lead after the opening quarter and it seemed as if Rockford might be in for a long night. But Rockford made a contest of it by pouring in a few triples of their own in the second stanza to make it only a 31-29 lead for South Haven as both teams headed into the locker room. The hosts made it 45-40 after the third quarter by outpointing Rockford 14-11 in the third quarter. The lead eventually grew to 52-44 before Rockford mounted a charge of their own and eventually take a 53-52 lead into the game’s final minutes. But it was a nip and tuck affair from that point forward as the game was tied at 56-56 for most of the final minute before the final hoop out of a scramble situation decided the contest for South Haven by the 58-56 final. Rockford was led in scoring by sophomore Jason Majerle’s 19 points. Junior Andy Heider added 13 while fellow junior Michael Peterson tossed in 12. Rockford drew a rematch with another […]
By John Raffel The boys bowling season ended for Rockford March 7 at the Division 1 state finals at Sunnybrook Lanes in Sterling Heights. The lone qualifier for the Rams was senior Jordan Kaufman, who was among the 60 bowlers that qualified from the regionals. Kaufman finished in 54th with a 1,075. The cutoff score for the top 16 to advance into latter rounds was a 1,245. “He averaged 179 for the tournament,” Rockford coach Paul Bellgraph said. “Every move he made, he couldn’t get a carry to it, whether it was a ball change or movement on the lanes. It wasn’t his day. He was in the pocket most of the day, but couldn’t get the carry. He enjoyed his time.” Kaufman had scores of 168, 191, 180, 184, 170 and 182. “He had a great time down at state,” Bellgraph said. “Being his senior year, he’s glad he made it. His high school career was an outstanding one. Hell be missed big time by the team. He was instrumental. He was our anchor bowler.” Kaufman was also a team leader for the Rams, Bellgraph pointed out. “At state, it was not his day,” he said. Bellgraph and the team is confident of making a strong run in the conference and postseason next winter.
With a score of 75.69, the Rockford High School Winterguard (RHSW) team captured second place in the Independent A division at the Jenison Winterguard Invitational held on Saturday, March 7, 2015. First place honors in the Michigan Color Guard Circuit (MCGC) competition was awarded to Wyoming’s Medley Winter Guard with a score of 75.69 and third place was awarded to Lowell’s Exit 52 team with a score of 70.06. During winterguard season, the team combines the elements of dance, flag and rifle movements in their performance. This year’s show is entitled “One Step Closer” and is performed to the song A Thousand Years from the Twilight movies The RHSW team will next travel to Saginaw Valley State University in Bay City to compete in the MCGC State Championships on March 28, 2015. Six teams from across the state of Michigan are scheduled to compete in the Independent A division.