Courtland Township Fire Chief Mickey Davis

MacGregor invites local fire chief to House ceremony honoring 9/11 anniversary

September 20, 2012 // 0 Comments

The Michigan House of Representatives Tuesday hosted a ceremony honoring first responders and Michigan natives lost in the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. State Rep. Peter MacGregor invited Courtland Township Fire Chief Mickey Davis to the event. “Sept. 11, 2001 was a tragic day in our nation’s history that we must never forget so we continue to honor those who died and all first responders who continue to fight for our safety,” said MacGregor, R-Rockford. “It was my honor to have Chief Davis with me on the House floor for this special ceremony. I greatly appreciate his sacrifices and the sacrifices of all first responders putting their lives on the line to protect us.” Following the presentation of the colors by a Michigan State Police Honor Guard, the names of fallen military members and first responders were read and honored. The ceremony is an annual event in the Michigan House.

Courtland Township home destroyed in afternoon blaze

May 3, 2012 // 0 Comments

Fire chief believes garage refrigerator source by BETH ALTENA A fire that may have started with a garage refrigerator destroyed a home and killed the family dog, according to Courtland Township Fire Chief Mickey Davis. A 911 call at 4:32 p.m. Friday, April 27 brought firefighters to a home at 9110 Whitall Avenue. “The garage was pretty much down and the fire had gone to the attic of the home,” said Davis. He said there were several teenage boys in the home at the time the fire started and one had attempted to put the blaze out with a water hose. “He was pretty scratched up and was treated by Rockford Ambulance at the scene.” The fire in the garage was fueled by the fact that the garage door was slightly open, creating a wind tunnel effect that increased the ferocity of the flames. “The house is still standing but it’s probably a total loss,” Davis said. “As far as content, some of the downstairs maybe salvageable but if it was upstairs it was toasted.” Davis said he doesn’t know what might have caused the refrigerator to catch fire, speculating that it could have been a problem with the plug or a mouse could have  chewed on a wire. “If people have older refrigerators or freezers, they probably shouldn’t, because they use so much juice,” said Davis, “but I’ve never seen one cause a fire before. This is a first for me.”