Glenn Rounds

Rounds chosen for Recognition Plaza

June 17, 2010 // 0 Comments

Glenn Rounds was born July 8, 1891. He lived his entire life on the family farm at 9225 Courtland Drive in Rockford. His grandfather built the farm house, and Wolverine Worldwide corporate offices occupy this site today. Rounds attended Rounds School, the little red restored school house located in front of the North Rockford Middle School on Division. His sister Stella taught in this building. Rounds continued his education in the Rockford school system. On June 26, 1918, he married Kate Elsie Salman. To this union was born a son, Glenn William, who was killed in an automobile accident in 1957. Rounds was an active member of the Rockford Rotary Club. Upon his passing in 1962, Rounds left his estate of $75,000 to the Rockford schools to fund a scholarship program for qualified students with financial need. Since the inception of this scholarship program, approximately $843,000 has been awarded to Rockford graduates. As a result of Rounds’ vision and generosity, since 1965, an average of 28 Rockford graduates per year have received Glenn Rounds scholarships. In fact, on the front page of the April 8, 2010, issue of The Rockford Squire, there is an article about Burt DeWilde, Rockford’s 2003 salutatorian, who is working in Switzerland on the Atlas detector, a machine that atomizes protons. DeWilde was a recipient of the Glenn Rounds scholarship, attending Kalamazoo College. Glenn Rounds has made a difference in the lives of young people from Rockford for 45 years, and he is very deserving to be commemorated by the Rockford community.

Three honored for life-long service

May 20, 2010 // 0 Comments

Rockford’s Recognition Plaza at Peppler Park is three names richer after a Community Endowment ceremony officially recognized three people of historic significance. Held indoors because of weather, representatives from the families of Edna Haner, Harry Morris Jr., and Glenn Rounds were on hand Tuesday, May 11 at Rockford City Hall. Each of the individuals chosen for this honor are recognized with a permanent plaque at Peppler Park east of the Rockford dam. The Endowment honors those who have made a contribution to the communities in the greater Rockford area. When visiting Peppler Park Recognition Plaza, you may view the plaques to see the names of those who have been recognized for their service to the area. Also see the bricks throughout the plaza with names of individuals, families and businesses. They are available through the City of Rockford for just $125 and are a gift that gives a permanent legacy in Rockford. Watch future issues of The Squire to read the stories of how Edna Haner, Harry Morris Jr. and Glenn Rounds earned their special place in Rockford’s history.