Piece of Rockford history moves to new location

July 19, 2012 // 0 Comments

The building believed to have been the original home of Reverend David Johnson Gilbert was moved in May 2011 from its original location to a lot on the corner of 13 Mile Road and Ramsdell in Courtland Township. Constructed in 1842 on 12 Mile Road in Section 19, it is considered to have been the oldest home in Oakfield Township. Reverend Gilbert was a pioneer farmer and [...]

Historical Society begins RAM fund campaign

November 17, 2011 // 0 Comments

“THE FIRST PHOTOGRAPH OF LAPHAMVILLE 1865” —This is the first known image of Laphamville, Rockford’s original name. The camera had only been invented about forty years earlier and was just then entering mainstream use (and it was still a difficult, sensitive process). This shows that even in difficult times, new technology still spread rapidly… even to a [...]

Soldier of War of 1812 honored with gravestone

October 20, 2010 // 0 Comments

Settler cemetery visible from road   One of Rockford’s—then Laphamville—earliest settlers, Joshua Briggs, rested in an unmarked grave for over 100 years before research determined that his grave must lie in the family plot on the grounds of Myrtle Park Crematorium at 9619 Northland Drive. Briggs was recognized in a ceremony on Saturday, Oct. 16, surrounded by the [...]