One up and one down for Ram girls

In a week that was somewhat of a microcosm of the season as a whole, the varsity basketball team from Rockford fell to Grandville in another of a string of heart-breakers by a score of 51-49 on Tuesday, February 24th on the road. That was followed up by a deceptively close 56-48 triumph over West […]

Rockford Rams Varsity Hockey team closes out successful 2014/15 season

Hockey

The Rockford Rams Varsity Hockey club ended the 2014/15 season with a solid playoff run. The Rams dismantled Grand Haven in the first round of the playoffs 9-4. Two days later, Rockford thumped Northview 5-1. In the Regional Finals, the Rams fell to Traverse City West 3-0. On Monday, March 2, Rockford squared off against […]

MASH comes to the West Michigan stage

MASH Play

Rogue River Community Theatre Company presents the iconic comedy March 19-21   CEDAR SPRINGS, Mich. – One of the most popular sitcoms in television history is coming to Cedar Springs this month as Rogue River Community Theatre Company presents the stage version of M*A*S*H. Based on the  hugely successful TV series that aired between Sept. […]

Wild west captured in deer farm turned agri-tourism resort

Deer-Tracks-2

by BETH ALTENA When you have over 200 beautiful white tailed deer fenced adjacent to a major road, people will stop and want to see them. That’s the experience of the Powell family, who opened their working deer farm in 2003. Located at 7850 14 Mile Road (M-57), their 80-acre business has received a lot […]

Firefighters take on explosive situation in propane training

Forty-four firefighters and first responders took an evening to 
learn and practice techniques to best control and subdue a propane emergency. The practices included flames reaching 60 feet in the air and close proximity to extremely hot flames. Photo by BETH ALTENA

‘Catastrophic’ situations covered by BETH ALTENA Rockford Fire Marshal Mike Reus said he would guess a recent explosion that blew a trailer home apart likely involved a propane fire and that cases where even stick-built homes are literally destroyed in an explosion are also likely caused by a propane leak that becomes ignited. Area firefighters […]