Top New Stories

Rockford welcomes Family Fare to neighborhood

July 26, 2012 // 0 Comments

Four weeks of grand reopening events scheduled The Rockford community noticed much more than just a new sign and name change at the Monday, July 23, 9:00 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony for the grand reopening of the Family Fare Supermarket located at 201 Marcell Drive NE, Rockford. Spartan Stores invested $1.2 million in a major remodel and is celebrating with four weeks of store promotions. “We are so excited to unveil our store improvements and showcase our Welcome Center, and many new and expanded departments, all created to improve quality, freshness and enhance our customers’ shopping experience,” noted Char Bouwkamp, store director for the Rockford Family Fare. “We love being a part of the Rockford community, and our store remodeling efforts are just one example of how we are continually investing in the communities we serve.” According to Alan Hartline, executive vice president of merchandising and marketing for Spartan Stores, “Family Fare is known for its value-centered and convenience approach to shopping, and this location in Rockford will be no exception. Value is top of mind for the consumer, and we want to ensure they’re able to make their dollars go farther at the supermarkets and our pharmacies. We invite everyone to stop by during our grand reopening celebration to partake in all the activities and have an outstanding shopping experience.” You could hear the emotion in the voice of Bouwkamp prior to the ribbon-cutting ceremony as she spoke to the early morning crowd. “Spartan Stores listened to the people of the greater Rockford community. In doing so, they have seamlessly and significantly made a major investment in the store and the community at large. The Rockford store has a long and caring relationship with the community, and Spartan Stores is now proud to add ‘value’ to that mix,” she noted. According to officials, the store is designed for an exceptional shopping experience. Every department presents an outstanding selection of offerings including: all new interior décor; new fresh produce presentation with a variety of fruits and vegetables from around the world; new floral display with fresh bouquets, arrangements and roses; new “Welcome Center” offering complimentary coffee and popcorn to consumers; new fresh iced seafood display; new frozen and meat display; all new wine department and expanded […]

Duplex destroyed, family and pets escape fire

June 16, 2011 // 0 Comments

‘The cat did just what we teach the little kids to do: stay low and go’ by BETH ALTENA A family cat survived a fire so hot and smoky that an entire neighborhood was hidden in the smoke as firefighters tried to extinguish the fully engaged blaze about 3 p.m. on Wednesday, June 8. Neighbors helped the family at 137 Highland View Court remove the pet dogs, but could not locate the 14-year-old house cat. It was speculated at the scene that the fire began in the garage or outside the home and quickly ignited the entire house. According to City Manager Michael Young, who watched fire fighters battle the blaze, the department arrived quickly. The fire was so intense on the windy day that people in the neighborhood were worried their homes might also be set on fire. In addition to multiple Rockford fire trucks and emergency vehicles, trucks from the Algoma Fire Department, Courtland Fire Department and Cannon Fire Department arrived to assist. Young called this “a great example of the success of our Mutual Aid Agreement.” He also said it helped to have many of Rockford’s police and fire personnel cross-trained to be available at a major emergency. Firefighters had the blaze under control and entered the house to continue putting out burns as smoke began to clear. After the fire was contained, the family cat remarkably was found alive in the ruined home, apparently unharmed. A firewall separating the two halves of the duplex held, and the other residence was only damaged by smoke. Chief Mike Reus said an investigation into the cause of the fire will take place this week, but he thinks electrical issues may prove to be the source. He called the fire a “tough one,” which burned very hot and hard. “It was the most intense heat I’ve felt in a long time,” he stated. Reus said he was proud of his crew, who were aided by ideal placement of a fire hydrant directly in front of the home. “That makes a huge difference,” he said. “One of the other firefighters asked how Rockford is able to grow fire hydrants right in front of our fires.” Reus also said the intact firewall between the two halves of the […]