Wilson School in Rockford MI

Historic Rockford school on holiday tour

October 27, 2011 // 0 Comments

Wilson School, 3992 Kroes NE, (corner of Kroes and Brewer in Rockford) a one-story, one-room, front gable yellow brick building, is on a holiday open house tour. Eight homes and the Plainfield Senior Center will be part of the two-day event on Friday, November 4 from noon until 7 p.m. and Saturday, November 5 from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. Admission is $5 for both days, including lunch at the senior center, with proceeds to benefit Northview Senior programs. This year the senior center hopes to purchase a van or bus for senior outings. Also on the tour are seven private homes which have been professionally decorated for the holiday season. Wilson School has a shed roof and a full-façade front entry porch. It was updated in the 1930s as part of a WPA project, which makes it unique for its history and as an example of the 1930s WPA construction. A furnace and restrooms were added to the building. It was originally constructed in 1899 by A. McComb of Grattan. The school’s floor plan followed the basic guidelines. Classes began in the structure on January 15, 1900. Wislon School served 25 to 30 students in grades Kindergarten through eighth grades from the rural community of Childsdale in Plainfield Township. In 1962 it was closed and students were sent to consolidated schools in the Rockford District. The Wilson School building currently contains antique school desks, a teacher desk and chair, a green chalkboard with cork border across the top and many other antiques of the area. On October 17, 1996 Wilson School was designated Michigan Historica Site No. L2001 and was listed on the state register. The school is privately owned by Leona Kroes Benson, who generously, with the help of her husband Leroy Benson, open the building for special community events. Visitors to the open house will also be able to see a Reed organ, a classic typewriter, a spinning wheel, an uupright floor model Victrola and many more interesting historic pieces. Directions and addresses are to the other locations if residents want to visit them in order of one through eight. 4655 Catamount Trail, Ada, decorated by Kennedy’s Flowers and Gifts: .09 miles east of E. Beltline and Knapp, south/east on Knapp Court, […]